Thursday, May 31, 2007

Greetings from Pennsylvania

My bad dreams became reality - I have to work every day for 2 and half months... Actually, it's not so bad as it looks like. I can stay in the U.S. for the summer and thanks to the money I earn (hopefully) I can do my internship at the Czech Embassy in Washington. In addition I work with nice people in beautiful countryside.

However, let's start from the beginning. I got here, to Pennsylvania, where I'm working like a support staff in the kids camp, yesterday. We flew from San Francisco to New York where we took a bus to Honesdale, PA, which is the closest town to our camp. Btw. we almost missed our connection in NYC. And guess why? Because of a post office... I need have to send some stuff to the Embassy so I went to the post office close to our bus station. I had half an hour for it, which I thought is more than enough. Mistake! In the post office there was a huge line of waiting people. And if I say huge, I mean huge... And it the post office close to Times Square there were just 3 people working. Even some Americans got angry and started to complain why there aren't more people, especially when we heard the chatting and laughing people from the back. So, finally I waited more than half an hour to buy an envelope and stamp... We should be happy in Czech for our posts even we are complaining about them all the time. You can't compare them to this New York's post office in downtown...

Nevertheless, after some running back to the station we got on the bus. I realized that it's my first bus ride for a longer distance since I'm in the States. I just flew everywhere I need have. It's easier and mostly similar expansive. Buses aren't the most popular transportation mean in America. But for the way from NYC to Honesdale it was all right. When you don't count the terrible cold in the bus. It was pretty nice weather outside but the bus driver probably wanted to freeze us out and turned on the air condition on maximum. I was freezing whole way... After 3 hours we got to Honesdale where Mike, guy from the camp pick us up.

He was sorry that I almost got frozen in the bus. But then he turned on the air condition and I was freezing again ;) Americans are just obsessed by air con. I remember the huge extremes between outside and inside temperatures in Nebraska when we got there last August. Such a miracle that I didn't get sick.

Anyway, we got to the camp which is situated in the forests and countryside that looks like European. It's very nice here. So, today I started working in the kitchen. It's so hot out there. Where is the air con when I need it ;) Our boss-cook is called chef and is about 50 years old crazy guy. We found out that he cooked for P Daddy (or however is this rapper called right now), lived in Cannes for 4 years, traveled over the world... Funny guy, who hopefully will make our working time easier. It's kinda hard and demanding work and it's still pre-camp. The kids are coming in mid-June and now we are just setting up the site for them and cook for about 20 guys who already got here.

We will see when I'll start to be sick of this work. I guess this day will come. I'll let you know...

No comments: