Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Czech Cultural Club Omaha festival

Oh, how I like Czech festivals in Nebraska organized by people with Czech heritage here. Always nice people enthusiasm to talk about Czech. Some of them dressed up in typical Czech-Moravian costumes (kroje). A lot of good food and good drinks.

Me with other Czechs were invited to come to Omaha to Czech festival last Sunday. We were supposed to have presentation about our town, as it had the last time we visited Czech festival great success. So we were prepared to set off our way to the biggest city in Nebraska. But not at 7:45 in the morning when some guys pick up us in front of our dorms. Never mind, another day without much sleep...

However, it was great day finally. We judged the home made cakes - unfortunately just visually, we couldn't taste them. We called numbers in the Czech bingo game and had presentation about our lovely towns. We weren't the only original Czech in the festival, couple Czech soldiers showed up there. They came to Nebraska for 3 weeks lasting observing how to effectively reorganize army. So, since now I guess we can feel safer, as we know that we got inspired by American army ;) Have a great day!

Czechoslovakia probably will stay in mind of Americans for a long time... Here you can read something about our Christmas.
Monika and the real St. Nicolaus.





Cool band...



Festival took place in Sokolovna - at this place normally people excercise. This time there are stalls with different "Czech stuff".


I haven't seen blue kroj before, but it's nice.


We took care of the Czech bingo.

Line of people waiting for the Czech dish - pork/duck + saurkraut (mistni vyraz pro kysely zeli;) + potato dumplings. This huge line was there for a whole day and they sold about 1000 meals. To the festival came amazing 1200 people!!!!!! Would you believe that? In Nebraska? ;)

Whoohoo, I won!!!!

I don't like bingo so much, but calling the numbers in Czech was fun ;)


Hmmm, duck... And the bread similar to the Czech one - great! And kolaches. Everybody loves kolaches in Nebraska and not just the people with the Czech heritage.

Sokoli, sokolice a sokolcata. Many Czech names on the floor ;)

Future generation of Nebraskan's Czechs. Hopefully this nice heritage and tradition will last forever...

Folklore dances.

Board about our scholarship and us. Nice, thanks guys!

Monika is having presentation about her town Bilina. If somebody don't know - North Bohemia ;)

The world is small - Czech soldiers in Nebraska. And this one is moreover from my city Prostejov. Btw we were 3 people from Prostejov - Ada, my friend from grammar school who is studying in Omaha came as well. Prostejov rocks!!!!

Like in the hockey game ;)

Future Czech Nebraska queen? Maybe...

Sokolovna and the end of the festival. Cleaning up of the huge room (and downstairs there is another one big room).


It's over, but next time again. Czech heritage in Nebraska lives on...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm afraid Prostejov is still a town even when you are up there :)))

Pavel said...

Do you think it matters so much? Whatever it is, i'm still proud of it. It has 50000 people so it could be called city anyways. Especially when you compare it with reality here - town is here every small village and city is something which would be considered town in Czech Republic.

So, please think not just of grammar and vocabulary but of context as well. Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

I was actually thinking of the context... :) And - my comment had a smiley which usually means that the person who is using it is kinda joking... Which cannot be said about your comment if I am right. :) My comment wasn't criticism, it was just a comment. If this is not allowed, I'll never do it again. :)

Enjoy your last couple of days in the US :)

Pavel said...

Thanks for all your comments, i'm always glad for them. i just thought that you care of English more then I would (i mean the post about my blog and my english on your site too ;). so it was more recommendation - take it easy. but if you do so, everything is all right...

how much time do u have left in South Africa? are u gonna go back to Czech for summer?

and i'm gonna be here for a while, so it's more last couple days in Nebraska...

Anonymous said...

Hello :)) It is not really that I care more about English than about the experience. Well, since you read the post on my blog :) - it wasn't meant directly at you. And definitely it is nothing personal, it's just my feeling and my experience. When I was in Canada, I was there with a Czech girl and she would just speak Czech all the time and I didn't like it (because I can speak Czech back home whenever I want :)), but I think it's everybody's own decision, so I hope you didn't take it personally. But I still believe that living somewhere is the best way to learn a foreign language and that when you have the chance you should use it as much as you can :)) But don't worry about me and English, it's kinda a must, since I study it, so sometimes I can't help it :)))

I thought you were going to go home soon, that your stay is almost over, but whatever is left, enjoy it (as you're done with school :)))

I'm going home in August, the school is gonna be over in June and then I'm, hopefully, going to travel here and to the neighbours. And then home, yup, for the next semester, at least.

I'm not that mean as I might seem to be (to you :)). And I didn't know you read my blog, haha, you could have left there a comment... about my Czech, for example :)))
Take care!