Sunday, July 8, 2007

News from the camp

I'm sitting on the porch of the farm house, only one place in whole camp where we can go online now (btw. you have to walk here about 10 minutes from our bunk and the main camp through the forest, which is awesome, especially when you are walking here during the night, alone and without flashlight). I'm trying not to fall asleep and write you finally how I'm doing here. And what I'm doing.

So, here are the answers that are very connected. I'm good but tired, most of time working... To start from the beginning, I came to camp Towanda in Honesdale in Pennsylvania to work like a support stuff to earn some money for my internship in Washington DC, where I'm going after the camp is over. I didn't know what I'm exactly going to do (possibly in the kitchen). After 5 weeks spent here I'm baking all deserts for 900 kids, counselors and other stuff. Without any previous experience with baking... In the pre-camp, that was some kind of preparation of camp for arrival of kids and in which I spent 2 weeks, I worked couple times in kitchen and chef cook favoured me and decided for me that I'm gonna be his help cook and gonna make special projects. And those special project aren't anything smaller than deserts.

To say something about our Food service director, that is his formal camp work name, but everybody calls him chef...he is just crazy... But crazy in the right way. He is awesome cook, who cooked all over the world and even for Puff Daddy (or however is this raper called now). However, he still sometimes behaves like a five years kid. I guess he has never grown up and never will. Especially in pre-camp he was doing such things like scratching all iron things in the kitchen with a fork that nobody who was there at this moment couldn't stand or spraying water on us. In spite of those things he knows what he's doing and many people who have been here last years say that this year is much better food. Anyways, for some reason Chef favoured me and telling me always that I should have my own bakery or cook business and that I had to be a cook in my previous life.

It's nice to hear something like this but not all the time ;) as he says it.

The baker here in camp is kinda hard work. Especially when I have to cook everything on my own, which means 12 pans of cakes or similar pastry every day. My work depends on daily menu. When there are 2 deserts a day I'm working through whole day without break. I start about 9AM and finish after 7PM. But for example today I don't have such a difficult day, so I have 2 breaks, which is fantastic. So, now I'm going to take a short nap to be ready for the dinner at 5...

P.S.: Tomorrow desert menu - fruit cocktail for the lunch and chocolate fudge brownies for the dinner. So, medium hard day. Maybe one break...

No comments: